Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Giza Pyramids

The pryamids of Khufu(background) and Khafre(foreground).

    I successfully found and moved into my apartment, so I was anxious to get out and about and start seeing the sights. This is big for me because I love history and seeing historical sites. Plus, when I lived in Kuwait, there was virtually nothing to see or do. Certainly nothing on the scale of the things that Egypt has to offer. I have been to the Giza pyramids before, about 32 years ago, and have great memories of them, so I was excited to revisit them again as an adult.

     I decided to go with a three colleagues and we decided to go with local public transportation rather than taxi. It is much cheaper, but takes more time to get to, but we all like to explore the city by using public means and we thought this would add a bit of adventure to the trip as well. We walked to the subway and took the train to the Sadat station - which opens up to Tahrir Sqaure. The subway costs only one Egyptian pound (about 15 cents) and is pretty quick and easy to navigate. The system only has a couple of lines, so in that respect it is unlike London or New York, and so remains simple to use. We changed lines at Tahrir and took another train to a station closest to the pyramids. From there, we decided to try to find the local bus to take us there. We got some help from a local guy (who would of course steer us to some business somewhere at the end of the ride), who was helpful and friendly. Finally we walked the last couple of blocks to the edge of the Giza site. For those of you who don't know, the pyramids sit literally on the edge of the city, so as you drive through the city and get close, you can look up and see them through gaps in the buildings.


     Our man did indeed guide us to a local purveyor of horse and camel tours around and through the pyramids. I would have been happy just to walk around the place, but thought it might be fun to do the ride just once. One woman with us had already done the ride an opted to just walk. The other three of us opted for the camel ride and entrance into only one pyramid - Khafre, the middle of the three and the one with the cap still on top. We got our camels whose names we were told were Moses, Mickey Mouse, and Michael Jackson. I was lucky enough to get MJ, though I was disappointed in him not moon walking.

That's Mike on the left chilling while I was in Khafre, and the two of us right before we went to see the Sphinx.  The ride was ok, but nothing special. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't opt to do it again, but it kind of seemed like I should do it once. Walking is not a problem since everything is really very central around the whole site. If you were old, had a disability, or it was really hot, you may choose to take another mode of transportation, but otherwise, I'd say just walk it. Unless of course you just have to do the camel thing.

     We came in from the south and stopped first at Menkaure, the smallest of the three. This is the one I climbed with my dad when I was 12. It looks small in comparison to the other two, but when you get up to the peak, it is an incredible experience. It was
smaller than I remembered it, but, then again, I was smaller too. Not very many people were there because they tend to flock to the other two, but here is the entrance to Menkaure and some of the casing stones around the base. It looks like this is a modern reconstruction, but the ground around the pyramid is littered with stones that have fallen off or have been removed. This hopefully gives a little idea to the size of the stones and the way that the pyramid would have looked when it was finished. I do remember having to haul myself up the stone blocks when we climbed it, so it was definitely much more than simply climbing stairs.



     From Menkaure, we rode to Khafre, the second biggest pyramid and the one with the cap still intact. We dismounted there and entered the pyramid. The entrance shaft is long (50m), steep, and small (about 4'x4'). You can see on the right that it is long
since I'm about 10 feet in when I took the picture and you can't see the bottom of the shaft. You have to hunch over and only one at a time fits through so you have to wait for the people coming from the opposite direction to clear through before you can go. The passage way was not as spectacular as the one in Khufu, which opens up into a huge, vaulted chamber, but it was interesting to see. I will definitely go back, and will take the time to go into all the pyramids next time. The burial chamber was large, open, and empty, so there is really not much to see. I added the photo below in hopes that the people standing on and around the pyramid could give you some perspective on the size of the blocks used to build it Khafre, and to it's size in general. The top of the frame ends maybe only 1/3 of the way up. The only bad thing about the experience is the number of trinket peddlers outside that swarm you like locusts.




     Lastly, we cut behind Khufu and went to the Sphinx. From the photo on the right, you can see how close the city is to the whole complex. I think people think that it out in the desert since most photos we see are ones that are taken facing west, into the desert, but the whole site is literally across the street from Cairo itself. This is a real problem in terms of pollution and it's effect on the deterioration of the pyramids. In the picture below, you can see the gaunlet of merchants that are out selling their wears in front of the whole place. This is the normal entrance gate is for tourists (we went in through a back gate to the south). From this view, you can see the Sphinx

with the pyramid of Khafre in the back with people walking on a roadway between the two. Khufu would be on the right, and Menkaure would be off to the left. That's about all for the trip, so if you feel like you want to see or know more, you'll just have to come out to visit.

    Next up: The Coptic churches and the mosque of Amr ibn al-As, the oldest mosque in Cairo and Africa. Until then I'll leave to with me knocking the Sphinx out Ali style.

PS, we went back through Sadat station at Tahrir Square late afternoon on the way home on January 25th - the anniversary of the revolution. It was starting to fill up with protestors celebrating the anniversary. No problems, but I wouldn't have wanted to be there later into the evening. I will go back though because Tahrir is where the Egyptian Museum is, and I have to go back there. 





1 comment:

  1. Oh great! Just what I wanted to hear; you were in Tahrir Square on the anniversary of the revolution. And here I've been telling everyone I'm not concerned because I know you won't be anywhere near Tahrir! All's well that ends well, I guess.

    ReplyDelete